Be 100% Responsible for Your Attention

By | February 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm | 5 comments | Brain Management

Be 100% Responsible for Your Attention.  It’s basic Brain Management.

You are 100% responsible for your attention. No one else is responsible for your attention. That’s the truth. That’s the way it is.

Some of us didn’t learn how to be responsible for our attention, and I could catalog many of the different ways our culture doesn’t teach us how to be responsible for our attention. And yet, it’s kind of a cosmic joke, because even though we’re not really taught well how to be responsible for our attention, we still are responsible for our attention

Attentional Health = Mental Health = Brain Health

Listen to Podclass (12 minutes) via media player below

If you are receiving this Podclass via email subscription, click on the “Download Now” link.

Click here to read along with the Unedited Transcript.

Photo Courtesy Flickr jsorbieus’s photostream

About the Author

TSH

5 Comments

1. Alex (3 years ago)

Hey Tom,

I have ADHD and cannot concentrate on one task for more than 5sec… oh look a shiny thing over there!

Ironically, I do not have the time right now to listen to this, and even if I did I probably couldn’t focus on it for more than a few minutes LOL.

Granted if something interests me it will hold my focus to the point that my wife has to unplug the cable to get my attention or hashtag my name in a tweet LMAO!

I will come back and listen to this when I have some time, I swear! :)

2. sana quijada (3 years ago)

so much of what we do distracts us from what we really want to focus on. great reminder. thanks tom. keep on.

3. TSH (3 years ago)

Come on, Alex! Who’s in charge of YOUR attention? Don’t give me the “ADHD excuse”. I’ve SEEN what you can do when you CHOOSE where to put YOUR attention!!! Being in charge of your attention is a brain skill, and I can tell you’re pretty good at being in charge of your attention. If you want to be successful in any area of your life, you need to be in charge of your attention.

Thanks for even THINKING about listening!

4. TSH (3 years ago)

Thanks so much for coming by and your good wishes. I get more and more convinced every day that it is our birthright to be in charge of our attention all day long (I’m working on it). I’m convinced that our culture normalizes mindlessness. I think we’d all get much less distracted if our culture normalized mindfulness.

5. sana quijada (3 years ago)

too good! luv this. thanks for the angle on not being a victim. keep on tom.

Comments